Friday, September 6, 2013

Using Blogs to Meet Learning Standards

There are numerous ways that I can use blogs with my own students and for my own professional development.

One important way in which I can use blogs with my students concerns the use of various grammar rules. I can post specific grammar rules that the students have been working with in the classroom. In response, the students can then comment with examples showing proper usage of the grammar rule, exceptions to the rule, and/or questions concerning the rule. I think this would be a great way to interact with students while they practice these grammar rules both inside and outside of the classroom.

Another important way in which I can use blogs with my students concerns reading goals and reflection. I would like to have my students post reviews and reflections of the books they are reading. This will not only allow myself to comment on their thoughts but also other students to see if they like the review and might want to read the books themselves. This also helps build their writing skills as they must use the proper format for a review or summary and edit accordingly.

Overall, it seems as if there are numerous possibilities for the usage of blogs with students in an ESL classroom. I think it would also be of use to create several different classroom blogs for various purposes. Then the students can reply to the "grammar" blog, "vocabulary" blog, "reading" blog, etc. It seems as though a very useful and fun tool for not only the students but also the teachers. It is a way for teachers to respond to students at home using the internet via computer or phone app. (Phone apps for blogging will be especially attractive to students as they are always on their phones.)

Official learning standards in my field (ESL) that student blogging could meet include:

Standard 1 (Intermediate Grades 5-8): Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for information and understanding.
Performance Indicator 12: Convey information and ideas through spoken and written language, using conventions and features of American English appropriate to audience and purpose.

Standard 2 (Intermediate Grades 5-8): Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for literary response, enjoyment, and expression.
Performance Indicator 10: Create, discuss, interpret, and respond to literary works, using appropriate and effective vocabulary, grammar, spelling, and punctuation in writing, and using appropriate vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation in speaking.

Standard 4 (Intermediate Grades 5-8): Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for classroom and social interaction.
Performance Indicator 1: Use a variety of oral, print, and electronic forms for social communication and for writing to or for self, applying the conventions of social writing.



4 comments:

  1. You have described some creative ways to use blogs with your students. I hope that when you have a chance to try some of them out, you will see what works well and what can be better accomplished in another way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the grammar rules are effective for students' learning since grammar needs to be practiced more and students can make improvement and ask questions through blogs. Also, writing review is a good way to see whether students can learn from reading materials. They can write what they are interested in or what impress them most and give their own comments on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of using blog for grammar learning. Grammar is always a difficult part of language learning. It is very helpful to ask students to give examples to a grammar rule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea that students can practice "grammar" inside and outside of the classroom. I think grammar rules need to be repeated until students get accustomed to using the rules, but sometimes teachers do not have enough time to do that in the classroom. And I also like your "reading blig". It would be really useful for students to post reviews and reflections of the books. I want to try it in my future teaching.

    ReplyDelete